Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bilingual Baby / Bebe bilingüe

This blog was inspired by my daughter and our family's bilingual makeup. At the beginning, I focused on translating posts and that is one way of "dealing" with both languages. As days go by, I feel more inclined to read and write specifically about language development and language acquisition in bilingual speakers. So here goes my first entry on bilingualism at home, in our extended family, friends and our community at large.

Although I'm not an expert in the subject, I've read a fair amount at school and on my own for a number of reasons. First, because I'm bilingual myself having attended a bilingual school since I was 5 years old. Second, because I have a background in teaching English as a Second Language and a Degree in Translation. Third (and lately), because my daughter was born to a Spanish speaking household in an English speaking country.

There's more. Most of the people I know are bilingual or have bilingual children and families (in different countries and hemispheres). So I feel that there's much to explore and a wealth of tales to tell.

I invite you to follow my daughter's language acquisition process and our attempts as parents to help her along her bilingual linguistic development.

...

Este blog fue inspirado por mi hija y nuestra familia bilingüe. Al comienzo, me concentré en traducir los artículos y esa es una forma de relacionarse con los dos idomas. Conforme va pasando el tiempo, siento más inclinación a leer y escribir sobre el desarrollo del lenguaje y la adquisición del lenguaje en hablantes bilingües. Esta es la primer entrada acerca del bilingüismo en casa, en nuestra familia y amigos y en la comunidad donde vivimos.

Aunque no soy uan experta en el tema, he leido bastante por diferentes razones. Primero, porque yo soy bilingüe y asistí a una escuela bilingüe desde los 5 años. Segundo, por mi experiencia como Profesora de Inglés como segunda lengua y por mis estudios de Traductora. Tercero (y recientemente), porque mi hija nació en una familia que habla español en un país de habla inglés.

Y hay más. La mayoría de la gente que conozco es bilingüe o tiene una familia bilingüe (en diferentes paises y hemisferios). Así es que creo que hay mucho material para explorar y un millón de historias para contar.

Los invito a que sigan el proceso de adquisición del lenguaje de mi hija y nuestros esfuerzos como padres para ayudarla en su desarrollo lingüístico bilingüe.

No comments: